Today at ECFE someone asked me if Ryan is a good napper. I stifled my laugh-in-their-face outburst, and went on to describe our past napping woes. And then I said something to the effect that Ryan seems to have gotten over these napping dilemmas and has been going down well for naps and sleeping 1-2 hours per day. JINX! Total JINX! Parenting lesson learned (more than once, but I keep repeating the same mistakes): Don’t verbalize anything your kid is doing well/routinely/fabulously…because the tides will definitely turn the minute the words are out of your mouth. Today’s Nap: Went down at 1:00. Was awake for one hour and 15 minutes in his crib, saying mamamamamama and singing Twinkle Twinkle. Sometime after 2:15 he finally fell asleep? What the?
Also, for your information, here are some toddler property laws you may want to keep in mind when hosting your next playdate:
1. If I like it, it’s mine.
2. If it’s in my hand, it’s mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it’s mine.
4. If I had it a little while ago, it’s mine.
5. If it’s mine, it must never appear to be yours in ANY way.
6. If I’m doing or building something, ALL the pieces are mine.
7. If it looks just like mine, it IS mine.
And a #8, which I’m adding myself based on a little experience Ryan and I had today:
8. If you have a mama and that mama holds a little baby, you must immediately shout BABY DOWN!!!!!